Working Conditions are Safe & Hygienic

How to comply 8 - what it looks like in practice

Transport – all workers

Physical inspection

  • Ensure that you conduct a physical inspection of all of the vehicles you use to transport workers. Look at:
  • Tyres: there should be at least 2mm of tread in the centre to 3/4 of the wheel. You can get tread measure sticks from Halfords.
  • Seatbelts: is there one per seat?
  • Tax disc: is it in date and valid for that vehicle?
  • Lights/indicators: are they intact and working?


  • Maintenance records: You should have records of regular services, maintenance checks and repairs made to vehicles.
  • Insurance: You should have insurance which covers all of your drivers.
  • If applicable, you need to ensure that each vehicle used to transport workers should be a registered as a Public Services Vehicle.
  • Ensure that all vehicles are registered with the DVLA.
  • MOT:  any vehicle older than 3 years should have annual MOT tests. You should have certificates to show this has been done.
  • Payslips and consent forms: You should have these for every worker that pays for transport.
  • Evidence that drivers or workers operating vehicles, mobile machinery or plant are not under age.

Drivers licences

  • Ensure that you keep a list of drivers. If the driver has a foreign licence, the list should also show the date of entry into the UK. If this is not known, then the date they started working for you. This will enable you to monitor when drivers with foreign licences need to apply for a UK one.
  • You should have photocopies of the driving licences for all drivers.
  • You must ensure that you are aware of which license requirements are relevant; either the PSV or PHV license. All operators of such vehicles must have the correct license. The ALP or the Department of Transport will have further information on which license is required for your particular circumstances and those of your labour providers.
  • You must ensure that all drivers have a good understanding of basic written English and the road signage so they can read signs and notices.

Deductions from pay for transport cost

  • Ensure that the amount paid for transport is reasonable considering the distance travelled. You should compare these costs to the costs of the public transport workers would take if you did not provide accommodation.
  • Permission – if workers are charged for transport (which is then deducted from their wages), they must have signed a consent form for this.
  • Look at payslips and consent forms for deduction amounts – are they reasonable and do they tally?

Now take the next step through: Working Conditions are Safe & Hygienic.

Green Arrow > You have visited the page. Orange Arrow > Not visited the page yet.